Saturday, July 30, 2022

Eight Sunday of Pentecost

Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church

The Weekly Newsletter

   Message from Pastor Mori


 
 
Dear RFUMC family
 
Mori is Back! 
 
I have had two weeks of vacation. I went to South Korea which is very special place to me. It was a fantastic vacation. I met my family and friends who I have been unable to see for a few years, and I had a chance to visit my schools and church. 
 
During the vacation, every moment of the days was planned out to fully experience, visit, and greet, but I felt relaxed and refreshed more than any other trip. 
 
There are many reasons why, but I want to share my experience in the worship at Oryun Community Church. It was a refreshing moment for me. 
 
During the Sunday, July 10, service, I heard a message about Deuteronomy 8:11-18: 
 
People forgot God. Especially when they feel like everything is going well. When our life is stable it is usually the result of my own hard work and effort. So, we might say, "I made it only by my power and might." The text also talks about when Israel forgot God. Verse 12-14:
 
12 When you have eaten your fill and have built fine houses and live in them 13 and when your herds and flocks have multiplied and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied, 14 then do not exalt yourself, forgetting the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery,
 
However, the text said to us, this is not by your own hand.
 
17 Do not say to yourself, 'My power and the might of my own hand have gotten me this wealth.' 18 But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, so that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your ancestors, as he is doing today. 
 
When I heard this during worship, I thought "Oh, I hope that I could not forgot God and so make a mistake like the Israelites. It is good story to remember God's work every day in my life." But, at that time, I did not know the true meaning of this passage. 
 
A few days later I received the message from the airline that my flight to back to Chicago had been canceled. Since I had worship service very next day, my heart trembled, my mind felt like it was full of a storm, I worried a lot, but I could not do anything at once. I could not even make a phone call to Chicago because South Korea and Chicago are on different times: South Korea's daytime is Chicago's midnight so I could not make call right away to figure it out. I needed to wait until that night which meant Chicago's morning. During the whole day, I prayed to God and waited. And absolutely I thought my vacation is ruined. 
 
However, Joe who is my amazing husband worked overnight and found a flight for the following day, and the SPRC chair Cheryl said to me "It is not your fault, do not worry and come safely back," so this provided me with relief and Rev. Gloria generously accepted to lead the next day's worship service instead of me. 
 
I realized that without these people's help I could not even have a vacation and without God's help I could not do anything. And I remembered what I heard during the worship. 
 
Deuteronomy said 8:11 says, "Take care that you do not forget the Lord your God by failing to keep his commandments, his ordinances, and his statutes that I am commanding you today. 
 
And I experienced a God who wanted to help me and take care of me and wanted me to be happy. 
 
In God's hands, I had one extra one day of vacation and the next day, I could safely return to Chicago. With my vacation experience, my body is still in jet lag, but my soul is refreshed. My heart fills with excitement because I remember that God will help us in our ministry and works with us!! 
 
I hope everyone in the RFUMC family remembers that God is in your daily life. 
 
Blessings
MORI  



 
 

Give on PayPal

     Community Info & Links            

  
  



                         July 31 North Side Co-op Vote Day


This Sunday, July 31, after a brief discussion (following worship service) regarding the opportunity to join the North Side Co-op, we will have a time to vote on whether or not to join.  We will also mail out paper ballots this week, to those who are not able to vote in person and would like to participate.  Please be on the look-out for that mailing or call the church office if you do not receive one.  We would like to have all ballots in by Sunday August 14th.





 

           Backpack Drive (July 01-Aug 14) + Backpack Blessings

                      

Thank you for all the wonderful school supplies that have already been received in the church office.  We are happy to participate in a BackPack Blessing with Catherine Inserra for Kids Above All which will take place on Sunday Aug 14.  Please join us in a blessing of your children's backpacks and prayers for a fruitful, safe and fun academic school year.  We will have a "goody bag" to share with the students which is prepared by the Sunday School class.

Please look at the flyer for more information. Click here. If you are ordering school supplies online, please have them delivered to the church office.  The Kids Above All office has limited storage space.  We will collect our donated supplies and deliver them to their office.
 





Night Ministry - Sunday August 07 

                  

On Sunday August 7th, we will prepare sandwich meals for distribution with The Night Ministry.  Please stay after worship service if you are able to lend a hand in assembling these meals.  Many thanks to John Davis and Claire Perez for organizing and supervising this project.  We really appreciate their willingness to take on this task.        






           
                                   
Thirsty Ears Festival 2022 

                   

Saturday, August 13th – 2pm to 10pm

Sunday, August 14th – 2pm to 9pm 

ACM is proud to present the seventh annual Thirsty Ears Festival: Chicago's only classical music street festival!

For two days Wilson street between Hermitage and Ravenswood will be closed to feature seventeen stellar ensembles and soloists performing music from Beethoven to Shostakovich to Reich and everything in between on the main stage. For more information click here






     

              United Women In Faith - Summer Classes August 19 & 20    

                 
                   

 United Women in Faith Northern Illinois Conference (formerly UMW) is offering classes for all ages. There are 4 locations for in person and will also offer a virtual option. 

  • The adult curriculum, Who Can We Be Together, brings participants deeper into Jesus' teachings to explore what it means to be in community.
  • The youth curriculum, Community in the Midst of Challenging Times, will help young people interpret scripture for today's world, and deepen community connections through intergenerational dialogue.
  • Through transformative activities and spiritual practices, participants in the children's curriculum, Our Growing Tree, will discover joy and empowerment in the scriptures and find support in their journeys of self-love and community building.

Find out more information here.






 

Scripture Reader Sign-ups


                      

 Would you like to participate in worship service by being a scripture reader? 
If so, please sign up by clicking HERE
Thanks for assisting in worship!  






 

Coffee Hour Sign-ups 


                    


We have begun to have a light coffee hour following worship service on the first and third Sunday's each month.  If you would like to sign up for a coffee hour (bring a light snack and serve beverages) please sign up by clicking here  


 

    


                                      Sermon by Phone service                    

 

                                              

If you do not have computer access or cannot access our Sunday worship service through a smart phone, we now have a sermon by phone service, which is available at any time! The phone number is (773) 219-0861.  You can listen to a recent version of Pastor Mori's Sunday sermon and it's free!  




 

                                       RFUMC Building Ministry
                                                                                                   
               

Ravenswood Fellowship UMC
August Calendar click Here 

Church Room Reservation Form 
(to request use of the common areas of the church) Click Here 

                                              

                                             
 
                                               Links for Worship
  
 
                      
       
  • Join Zoom worship by going to this link at 10:30 AM on Sunday: https://zoom.us/j/806489040. Or call in at 1-312-626-6799 (Meeting ID: 806 489 040). 
  • Let's boost our worship! Please sign-up for Worship service Bible reader Sign-Up here. August sermon titles are here
  • Young People's Bible Study. Ages 12-18 are invited to join the Zoom discussion of Jesus stories at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Join the Zoom call here (Meeting ID: 828 2305 3546, One-tap mobile+13126266799)
  • Want prayer? During our Prayers of the People, we will read your prayer requests. Submit your prayer requests here.
  • Download. Get your bulletin here.
  • Having trouble? Try logging off and logging back on to Zoom during the video. Or simply log off and call in. 
  • Missed last week? Check out the Facebook Live video on our page here
 
Give on PayPal
http://ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org
Facebook
Our mailing address is:
4511 North Hermitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60640
Contact us at:
ravfelumc@yahoo.com
(773) 561-2610

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.






This email was sent to ravfelumc.church@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Ravenswood Fellowship UMC · 4511 N Hermitage Ave · Chicago, IL 60640-5303 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Blog Archive