Friday, July 31, 2020

I am a gardening lady

Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church

The Weekly Newsletter


   Message from Pastor Mori


Dear Ravenswood Fellowship UMC family,
 
Do you like your name?
I love my name "forest" – Mori. I love the forest. I love green leaves and branches and trees and wildflowers, and their smells. I love ladybugs and little creatures crowing all the time. However, I have zero experience in gardening. When I say that many people are very surprised. Since my first appointment was to an agricultural community, people wonder how I never got the chance to grow little tomatoes in my back yard. 
 
Yes, I lived in an agricultural environment, but I saw the vast fields which had edges that were hard to see. Instead of water kettles, I saw farmers' airplanes flying across fields to spray. Also, I saw semi-trucks and gigantic tractors.
So, when I had my first time to help gardening folks and I grabbed a small gardening trowel, I didn't know what to do. But the RFUMC gardening team are very kind and nice people. With big smiles, they welcomed me and let me start my first gardening. So, I started my first gardening in my life. At that moment, I just took a look at everything and it all seemed like the same green-colored plants in the ground. However, one month later, I can now distinguish between what is a "plant" and what is a "weed!" (Thank you, Yuko!)
I even got my own gardening gloves! 
 
When I started gardening, I didn't know why people love it. I think these few things show why people love gardening. First, for starters in gardening, we need to bend over or sit close to the ground and soil. This gesture is a very humble pose and for me, it shows an attitude of respect to the creatures of God. And, we work with our hands doing slow work. While gardening, we sit near plants and learn how they endure the sunlight, wind, and hot weather every moment. I realized that even the weeds are strong and resilient!  
Usually, after gardening, our bodies are sweaty and tingle; however, the garden looks much better and the plants look happy, too. I learned about the beauty of human labor at the same time I learned how God loves nature. 
 
If you are considering starting gardening and want to know how to do it, come and join the RFUMC gardening team. They are wonderful people who are willing to sit near you (but six feet away) and work together. 
 
This Saturday(Aug,01) our gardening team invites you to join in a Japanese Garden Prayer. With the beautiful nature around us, we will pray together for the world, peace, and justice. 
You all are welcome(Sign-Up Link). I hope you can see our beautiful garden. 
 
Stay well! 
Blessings 
 
Gardening lady, Mori 
 
PS) Pastor Mori's Q&A
Q) Do you like DC or Marvel?
A) Wonder Woman

 

Give on PayPal

Community Info & Links


Japanese Garden Morning Prayer: August 01 Saturday 
Are you stressed out? Need prayer time? 
Saturday, August 01, at 9:00 am, we'll meet for our first Japanese garden morning prayer meeting. It will be a short prayer gathering with Japanese culture at the RFUMC Japanese garden. We will keep six feet, wear masks, praying silently. Please sign-up to reserve a spot here. (15 people only) 


United Voices of Children "Kids Above All"
Back to School Drive Donation 

It is time for the Back to School Backpack Drive! School supplies are an expense that many of our families have difficulty affording. The Back to School Drive is underway and our kids need your help to make sure they are ready to learn--no matter where and how they do it! Please look at the flyer. You can purchase and send school supplies from Kids Above All's Amazon Wishlist. Check it out! 


RFUMC Advisory Council
We will have a Church Ad council on August 02 Sunday after worship via Zoom. We will look together at the first half of the year of RFUMC ministry and plan together for the second half of our year of ministry plan. 


Re-Opening Survey and Re-opening Team Meeting 
We are close to having a meeting of our re-opening team. Help us make the best decisions by please responding to the Re-Opening Survey. If you did not receive it, please let us know by email. 


RFUMC Homepage Renewal 
We are pleased to announce the renewal of our Church Homepage. Through this renewal, we have changed the entire design to make it easier for you to access important information. In addition, we have made it easier to use on smartphones. Please visit the RFUMC website.
https://www.ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org 


Welcome Berry Memorial United Methodist Church
If you meet new people in the church building, show a big smile (ouch we wear the mask!)  Berry UMC will use our building space temporarily before they move into their new building. They will use the second-floor parlor until construction on their new building is completed.
This is a good opportunity to help and support others as a United Methodist Church. 


August 02 Sunday Holy Communion/Love Feast

Please prepare your own Cup and Bread! 

During the pandemic, there has been a debate about online communion in Methodism. One side has said it should not happen because the embodiment of the sacrament and physical presence of the community of faith are essential elements. Others disagree and want the sacrament to be as open and accessible as possible. United Methodists at Discipleship Ministries are suggesting that we begin with the Love Feast, which we have been practicing in our worship with Pastor Erin the transition to online worship due to the pandemic. Different from the Lord's Supper, you can choose your material for Holy Communion, preparing your own cup and bread. We then share the meal virtually with our faith community. Please read the following links, if you want to know more about the theology of Love Feast 


After Covid-19 Updates. Read about the Phases for Re-Opening here. Is that document too long? Read the summary version here

                                                                                                                                    

 
            
Links for Worship

  • Join Zoom worship by going to this link at 10:30 AM on Sunday: https://zoom.us/j/806489040. Or call in at 1-312-626-6799 (Meeting ID: 806 489 040). 
  • Let's boost our worship! Please sign-up for Worship liturgist and Bible Reader. Sign-up here August Bible Scripture here, Worship Liturgy here.
  • Young People's Bible Study. Ages 12-18 are invited to join the Zoom discussion of Jesus stories at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Join the Zoom call here (Meeting ID: 828 2305 3546, One-tap mobile+13126266799)
  • Want prayer? During our Prayers of the People, we will read your prayer requests. Submit your prayer requests here. 
  • Download. Get your bulletin here.
  • Having trouble? Try logging off and logging back on to Zoom during the video. Or simply log off and call in. 
  • Missed last week? Check out the Facebook Live video on our page here. Youtube Link here
Give on PayPal
http://ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org
Facebook
Our mailing address is:
4511 North Hermitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60640
Contact us at:
ravfelumc@yahoo.com
(773) 561-2610

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.






This email was sent to ravfelumc.church@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Ravenswood Fellowship UMC · 4511 N Hermitage Ave · Chicago, IL 60640-5303 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Blog Archive