Friday, July 24, 2020

I love my neighborhood!

Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church

The Weekly Newsletter


   Message from Pastor Mori


Dear RFUMC Family,

Have you ever been locked out?

I have… twice in 23 days. Since I moved to Chicago and started at RFUMC, I have been locked out of the church two times.

To explain how it happened, I should share my morning routine. As soon as open the church office door, I start wiping and cleaning everything. (Yes, I am picky.) 

The doorknobs and tables and chairs and refrigerator door and bottles and cups. Then I prepare a little bowl of water. I put it next to the bench by the main church door because I saw several dog walkers sitting there resting with their dogs.

And when I went out with the dog water bowl, I met our neighbor named Lisa and her dog. She very much appreciated the dog water bowl, and we had a little chat, and I had a chance to introduce the church. When we said goodbye, I waived with the hand holding the door. As soon as I let go of the doorknobs to wave, the door closed. And then I realized that I did not have anything. No phone, no key and no money. (Thanks to God I wore the mask) I sat down on the bench and prayed to God for a helping hand. Thirty or forty minutes later, one cute dog approached me and started to drink the water which I had prepared.

And the dog owner asked me, "what's up?" So, I said I was locked out and I am the PASTOR! 

He helped me to email Donna with his phone and he even hung around more waiting for Donna's response. So, I got to play with "MUZI" who was an adorable poodle. And soon after, Donna came, so I could go back to my office! (Thank you, Donna for driving all the way down to the church and opening the door!!!) 

Even though it was a short time, I saw many of our neighbors. Some were running, some were walking with dog, some with their kids, and when I saw them, they saw me, and we smiled at each other!  Some said, "Hi!" Because of them, I never worried while I was locked out. 

When I moved here, most of my friends lived far away, my family lived in South Korea, and Joe is often at work, so I felt alone during the day, however, after being locked out, and meeting so many of our Ravenswood neighbors, I feel like I have many friends now. 

I know so many people feel isolated during the pandemic and are stressed out.  I want to suggest that you go out and look at the sky and listen to the wind. Feel the sunshine and say hello to someone who is sitting on the bench (Who knows? That person might be locked out, too!) 

Your smile would make their world warm. 

Blessings 

MORI 

 
PS) Pastor Mori's Q&A
Q What is your favorite food?  
A) ICHIRAKU RAMEN 


 

Give on PayPal

Community Info & Links

Now Open Café Mori 
Please visit
Café Mori (Pastor's office in the church) 
We have prepared super delicious free coffee and tea. 
This week  7/28-7/31 Café Mori Hours 
Tue  10:00-3:00    Thu 10:00-3:00 
Wed 10:00-3:00     Fri  10:00-3:00 


Garden Project -TheRFUMC Garden team will have our work day this Saturday July 25th between 8:30 to 12:00.  We will install mulch. 
If you could come and join us to help for even a short time, it would be greatly appreciated.

Gardening Team is looking for some donation 

Small shovels (used welcome)
Grass seed (opened bag welcome)
Plants (from your garden welcome)

 If you plan on gardening that weekend, please email Yuko Darcy at yukochicago@hotmail.com


Japanese Garden Morning Prayer : August 01 Saturday 
Saturday, August 01, at 9:00 am, we'll meet for our first Japanese garden morning prayer meeting. It will be a short prayer gathering with Japanese cultural spirituality at the RFUMC Japanese garden. 
Please sign-up to reserve a spot here.


United Voice of Children "Kids Above All" 
It is time for Back to School Backpack Drive! School supplies are an expense that many of our families have difficulty affording. Back to School Drive is underway, and our kids need your help to make sure they are ready to learn--no matter where and how they do it! In addition to the flyer. You can purchase and send school supplies from Kids Above All's Amazon Wishlist. Check it out! 


RFUMC Advertising Council
We will have our first Ad Board Council on August 02 Sunday, 
After Sunday worship via Zoom. 


RFUMC Homepage Renewal 
We are pleased to announce the renewal of our Church Homepage. Through this renewal, we have changed the entire design to make it easier for you to access the required information. In addition, we have made it easier to use on smartphones. Please visit  RFUMC website.
https://www.ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org 


August 02 Sunday Holy Communion/Love Feast

Please prepare your own Cup and Bread! 

During the pandemic, there has been a debate about online communion in Methodism. One side has said it should not happen because the embodiment of the sacrament and physical presence of the community of faith are essential elements. Others disagree and want the sacrament to be as open and accessible as possible. United Methodists at Discipleship Ministries are suggesting that we begin with the Love Feast, which we have been practicing in our worship with Pastor Erin the transition to online worship due to the pandemic. Different from the Lord's Supper, you can choose your material for Holy Communion, preparing your own cup and bread. We then share the meal virtually with our faith community. Please read the following links, if you want to know more about the theology of Love Feast 

                                                                                   
After Covid-19 Updates. Read about the Phases for Re-Opening here. Is that document too long? Read the summary version here

                                                                                                                                    
 
            
Links for Worship

  • Join Zoom worship by going to this link at 10:30 AM on Sunday: https://zoom.us/j/806489040. Or call in at 1-312-626-6799 (Meeting ID: 806 489 040). 
  • Let's boost our worship! Please sign-up for Worship liturgist and Bible Reader. Sign-up here August Bible Scripture here, Worship Liturgy here.
  • Young People's Bible Study. Ages 12-18 are invited to join the Zoom discussion of Jesus stories at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Join the Zoom call here (Meeting ID: 873 2762 8076)
  • Want prayer? During our Prayers of the People, we will read your prayer requests. Submit your prayer requests here. 
  • Download. Get your bulletin here.
  • Having trouble? Try logging off and logging back on to Zoom during the video. Or simply log off and call in. 
  • Missed last week? Check out the Facebook Live video on our page here. Youtube Link here
Give on PayPal
http://ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org
Facebook
Our mailing address is:
4511 North Hermitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60640
Contact us at:
ravfelumc@yahoo.com
(773) 561-2610

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.






This email was sent to ravfelumc.church@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Ravenswood Fellowship UMC · 4511 N Hermitage Ave · Chicago, IL 60640-5303 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Blog Archive