Friday, November 27, 2020

First Sunday of Advent

Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church

The Weekly Newsletter


   Message from Pastor Mori


Dear Ravenswood Fellowship family,

Last Sunday, I turned the Christian calendar and discovered that "this week is Advent!"  My first thought was not that exciting, but then I thought, " wow it seems too early!" This is because so many things have happened in 2020 and I feel like I need time to review my to-do list for 2020 to see if I accomplished what I had hoped to. 
 
I looked at my to-do list, which I wrote under the normal conditions, but we were working under a "new normal," situation. So instead of being overwhelmed about what I did not accomplish, I choose to focus on an important thing that I missed on my list. 
 
It is giving thanks to God. So I got rid of my "to-do list" then wrote a "thank you list," for this year. 
 
I thanks all of the front-line medical professionals, thank you for the one who cares COVID-19 patients all over the world. I thanks all of the nursing home staff who care for our elderly members. 
I thanks all of the teachers, transit drivers, delivery people, police officers, teachers, firefighters, post office workers, and grocery store employees, and plumbers and electricians. 
 
Thanks to Arthur who takes care of our building and helps me to set up all of the signs for church events. Also, thank you to Jonathan who fills my mind with beautiful music during every worship. I thank you secretary team for supporting me from the first day I worked; thank you to Yuko who every week gives me inspiration with her beautiful flowers; I thank Teddi who helps me to understand all of the financial numbers which I still need to learn about. I thank Dave and the trustees who take care of the parsonage; thank you for the youth group who everyday are growing up as Christians. I thank you for Cody and Tatum who are my millennial ministry leaders. Thank you, Megan, for your awesome comments about my Bible study; thank you, Matthew, for volunteering for the worship; thanks to Cheryl and Debbi and Marlynne, Sarah for your support of the new ministry. You are always with me so I can start new ministries. Oh, this is going too long….! 
I thank you for all of RFUMC. 
 
Also, I thank you for the pandemic, to enable me to learn new ministry skills like Zoom, Facebook, YouTube, and video editing. I give thanks to Dr. Anthony Fauci who provided the nation with a blueprint for staying healthy. I thank the person who recorded and reported bravely about the police officer with his knee on George Floyd's neck. Because of it, we could see the truth. I give thanks to my favorite restaurant, Sweet Maple, who did not give up on their business so I still can get my omelet.
 
And I thank you my fiancé who sacrifice his Saturday often, and understands my busy schedule, and does Animal Crossing by himself. 
 
I thank you, God, for this Advent, for making me aware of the people who have touched our lives in ways that never seemed as important before the pandemic. And thank you God for sending new hope to us.
 
I hope you also will write a "thanks list," one day soon, being grateful, opening you up to this Advent season. 
 
Blessings 
MORI 
 

 
 

Give on PayPal
Give on PayPal

Community Info & Links

 

 Advent Book & Prayer Group
 

  

 

When it seems like the whole world is awash in lights, celebration, friends, and family, many among us feel an amplified sense of loss, grief, and disconnect. Blue Christmas, an Advent devotional book by Todd Outcalt, reminds us that even in our darkest times, God offers us hope and comfort if we are willing to bring our deepest fears into the light of God's love.

 

This year we will read together and pray together for the people who are lonely, anxious, or grieving. This is a time to pray for the community hurt by systemic injustice. To share in our prayer liturgy we need you to pre-register HERE
You can choose a Thursday night online class or a Saturday morning online class.

 

* Week 1  Thursday 12/03  7:00 PM or Saturday 12/05  9:30 AM
* Week 2  Thursday 12/10  7:00 PM or Saturday 12/12  9:30 AM
 * Week 3  Thursday 12/17  7:00 PM or Saturday 12/19  9:30 AM 
    * Blue Christmas Virtual Worship Service Saturday 12/19 7:00 PM 

Book Purchase - Upper RoomAmazonCokesbury, Barnes &Noble



Church office remotely work 

November 16 to December 4.
The church office will be closed for in-person visiting. For an emergency or for ministry needs the pastor will continue to work at the office. Also, please continue to remember the Night Ministry Christmas stocking ministry and the See's Candy ministry. 
 If you have a question feel free to contact: ravfelumc@yahoo.com /
                                                                                    Phone: 773-561-2610

       

 

Japanese American Service Committee
 

The Japanese American Service Committee (JASC) is a social services agency located nearby at 4427 N. Clark St. about a half mile to our east.  Check out what types of programs and services they offer by clicking here to visit their website.  While the JASC offers many Japanese culturally based classes and programs, it is open to everyone.




Jumpstart Youth Ministry

 November Resources
Last month, the Discipleship Task Force introduced the first pair of videos for a six-month series about growing and strengthening discipleship ministries with a particular focus on youth. The theme for October was "Just Show Up!" as the first step in working, leading, and learning from young people. This month, the theme is "THE CHURCH OF TODAY"—how youth are already shaping and reshaping it, and how we can listen and learn from them. Tune in to Pastor Seamus' video on this theme, and then continue with Deacon Sharon's resource video! Click here for the videos and resources. 

 


Kids Above All Annual Holiday Gift Drive
 
Each year we rely on the generosity of supporters and volunteers, like you, who step up and purchase, deliver, sort, and organize gifts to make our children's holiday wishes come true. And this year, more than ever, your kindness is both needed and appreciated to help our kids build better lives. Here is the Holiday Gift Drive 2020 flyerPlease feel free to contact Catherine Inserra at cinserra@kidsaboveall.org for any questions.



    Christmas Caravan - (Dec. 6) 3:30 - 6:30pm.
Three Fox Valley United Methodist churches will host a drive-thru Christmas Story Caravan. Visitors are invited to drive from church to church, experiencing the story of Christmas with outdoor activity and freewill mission collection at each location. Admission is free. Click for details.



NIC Christmas Institute - (Dec. 26 - 28) 
 
This year's Christmas Institute theme is "Road Trip!" Organizers decided on this theme as a way to take participants all on a "virtual" trip during this time of quarantine. The event, a tradition for Filipino churches, is open to all youth and young adults and will be held via Zoom. The cost is $30. Click here to learn more and to register.




Small Business Saturday, Nov 28

The Fourth Quarter is essential to so many small businesses' bottom lines, which makes it even more important during a year when we are battling COVID-19.  Luckily for us, it's easy to support the shops and restaurants of Lincoln Square and Ravenswood when they've pivoted their business models to ensure you can support local safely this year! 

Check back throughout the holiday season for the latest and greatest ways to support the local economy and save money by shopping small. (from -www.lincolnsquare.org/holidays)



Meeting Announcement

Christmas Eve Planning Team Meeting
Tuesday, Dec 01, 7:00 pm 
Zoom online. 

Ad Council Meeting 
Sunday, Nov 29, After worship 
Zoom online


After Covid-19 Updates. Read about the Phases for Re-Opening here. Is that document too long? Read the summary version here



      
            
Links for Worship

  • Join Zoom worship by going to this link at 10:30 AM on Sunday: https://zoom.us/j/806489040. Or call in at 1-312-626-6799 (Meeting ID: 806 489 040). 
  • Let's boost our worship! Please sign-up for Worship Bible Reader. Advent and Christmas time scripture and sermon title is here and Bible reader Sign-Up here.
  • Young People's Bible Study. Ages 12-18 are invited to join the Zoom discussion of Jesus stories at 9 AM on Sunday mornings. Join the Zoom call here (Meeting ID: 828 2305 3546, One-tap mobile+13126266799)
  • Want prayer? During our Prayers of the People, we will read your prayer requests. Submit your prayer requests here.
  • Download. Get your bulletin here.
  • Having trouble? Try logging off and logging back on to Zoom during the video. Or simply log off and call in. 
  • Missed last week? Check out the Facebook Live video on our page here
Give on PayPal
http://ravenswoodfellowshipumc.org
Facebook
Our mailing address is:
4511 North Hermitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60640
Contact us at:
ravfelumc@yahoo.com
(773) 561-2610

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.






This email was sent to ravfelumc.church@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Ravenswood Fellowship UMC · 4511 N Hermitage Ave · Chicago, IL 60640-5303 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

Blog Archive